Here’s how you can start seeing actual results from your social media presence and strengthen your belief in Twitter really being a genuine source of high quality, consistent traffic.
There is this fallacy that’s floated around for ages now that o build a large base of twitter followers, you need to follow as many people as possible. The premise here is that the more people you follow, the better your chances at having people reciprocate the gesture and “follow you back”.
Well, I hate to break it to you but that’s as false a social media strategy as they can come. If you build a social media presence by constantly following more and more people every day, you are doing nothing but creating a community of followers interested in that same logic, “large number of followers”, and nothing more.
Your followers accumulated in this manner will comprise mostly people who don’t use Twitter to follow you, but to collect Twitter leads and nothing more. You can’t achieve good results from a promotional Twitter campaign by accumulating a gazillion followers who follow you back out of reciprocity and nothing more. If people have thousands of people they follow on a daily basis, there is a split-second moment they have to view promotional messages “you” tweet, because as soon as you tweet them out, your tweets will be replaced by many other tweets promoting something else.
There goes your social media campaign..
What now, was the point of having thousands of followers who you accumulated by following to begin with?
THAT, is not a social media strategy my friends..
The probability of anyone’s successfully executing a successful Twitter campaign is much lower than of someone who has accumulated a following of people based on the “value” they provide through their tweets.
You can follow these few steps to recalibrating your social media presence right away, by making a few simple changes to both your Twitter account, as well as your “approach” to accumulating followers on Twitter:
1. Start Tweeting! I find thousands of people on Twitter who don’t tweet anything useful yet have tens of thousands of followers.. If you see such a user in the list of people you are “following” on Twitter, UNFOLLOW him/her immediately. They are of no use to you, because they will almost never make for a good prospect/buyer for you in future.
2. Make sure you are “following” as few people as possible. “Proper” twitter users, people who actually follow you because they’ve found your tweets useful, are far more likely to respond to your promotional social media campaigns than those who aren’t “proper”.
3. Search for Twitter users in “your niche” by going over toÂ http://search.twitter.com/. It’s best to follow people in “your niche” than to follow “anyone”.
4. Use # tags in your tweets to narrow down the “scope” or “reach” of your tweet on Twitter. By using # tags, e.g. Simply inserting #marketing in your tweet before posting it, will ensure that your tweet is visible to a specific group of people on Twitter who are following the #marketing group, list or “#tag”. No need to blast your tweets across the entire Twitter network.
5. Search your “followers” list for people who post useful tweets regularly and who have few people they are following but a large number of people who are following them. Insert the “@” symbol followed by their twitter username and post a tweet with this in it. This sends a tweet directly to the user’s “Mentions” timeline as well as gets posted on your Profile Page, encouraging them to do the same for you. You expose them to your social media traffic in this way, and if they reciprocate, you get exposed to their social media traffic, which ensures that you are getting more “legit” people in “your niche” visiting your twitter page.
There are several more ways about calibrating your social media presence to produce actual results, but these are some of the “foundational” measures you need to take if you’d like to make the most of Twitter.
People who follow the “you follow me, I follow you” fallacy are almost never going to see measurable results from a campaign, it’s just a flawed model, and it’s your job to avoid it like the plague 😉
Share this post onÂ Facebook, LIKE it, Digg it, Tweet it. Seriously. People need a wake-up callÂ
Ali is also an Affiliate Marketer, Product Creation & Launch Consultant, Copywriter, and one of the most Highly Recognized Programmers in theÂ Home Based Internet Marketing world, the Lead Technologist behind the Blockbuster Launch of The Internet Time Machine, and Search Engine NowRelevant.com, and mentioned in several International News Publications such as Forbes, The Chicago Tribune, NY Times, LA Times, and Reuters, to name a few, for his work.
Both Larry Rivera and Jamie Pelaez work from home full-time as online entrepreneurs. While we still do some affiliate marketing in the form of product and service related recommendations, our primary focus is our membership site sharing our love of Kung Fu around the world. You can trust we will only recommend resources we personally use to enhance our life and online business. While we make money online, however we cannot guarantee you will. Only because we do not know how dedicated you will choose to be. ;)