Welcome to another week of peeling back the layers of social proof success; this week we are covering how to do keyword research properly. If you have not read part 2, please do so before continuing. You can find it here: Â Step 1 For Social Proof Success Part 2 | Target Market Defined
You should now know the purpose of your business and if it aligns with your life mission. You now know the importance of being consistent in your mission, values and goals. You have also defined who you feel your ideal target audience isâ€¦.
Today we are going to do our keyword research, so we can know which keyword phrases to target.
The act of researching what words are â€˜keyâ€™ to enable the action takers in your target market to find your offer before they find your competition.
I debated for several days which I should teach first, keyword research or target market research. They both go hand in hand, but which comes first? It was like the battle of which came first, the chicken or the egg? (No worries, this use to stump me too! That is until I started reading the Scriptures, then I knew it had to be the chicken!) 🙂
So why are we starting with our keyword research first? Technically keyword research is a part of your target market research. However, if we start here first & do this properly, then we will be able to find where our target audience hangs out. We will also be able to see what problem then need solved and be able to get a more accurate picture of their demographics in the process.
Awesome, letâ€™s get started!
3 Steps To Begin Keyword Research:
- Make a seed keyword list. Whatâ€™s a seed keyword? Itâ€™s the seed words that once we plant them will grow into our buying keyword phrases. They are your most broad keywords that we will refine into your master keyword list. They describe your product or service, related subjects and problems your goods can solve.
e.g. You decided your passion is growing roses, you can grow them better than anyone you know. Your friends and family marvel at how awesome your rose bushes are. Yes, you are a master rose grower and know all the insider rose gardening secrets. You decide you want to put out a product to help those poor souls that just stink at growing the roses the long to grow.
Hereâ€™s what your seed list might look like: rose, roses, rose garden, rose gardening, rose growing, growing roses, rose bush, rose bushes, rose bush growing, rose types, rose food, rose plant, rose plants, planting roses, rose pot, rose soil, rose seeds, rose fertilizer, rose care, rose maintenance, best rose, best roses, rose horticulture, rose history, rose origins, rose culture, rose agriculture, organic, roses, organic rose growing, rose pruning, rose growth, rose farming, rose botany, rose industry, rose contest, rose garden design, growing roses indoor, transplanting roses
Get it? Good! Now itâ€™s your turn! Think about what your product(s) or service(s) are, what problems you can solve, your related topics and start writing those seed keywords down.
- Take your list and put each keyword into the Google Wonder Wheel. This will help you expand your seed keyword list further.
* Make sure to put your keywords in a spreadsheet and save it in a place you will remember later.
* Make a column for the number of results for each term
* Make another column for possible competitors for each term.
- Take your expanded list and run each keyword through Googleâ€™s Related Searches, add any additional key words you come up with.
* Optional extra step: Repeat steps 2 & 3 with the seed keywords you got from Googleâ€™s Related Searches.
* You can wash, rinse and repeat until Google no longer spits new seed words at you or until you have had enough!
Thatâ€™s enough for us to digest for this weekâ€™s Watercooler Wednesdayâ€¦ Next week we will continue refining our keyword research.
PROFIT ON KNOWLEDGE CHALLENGE:
- If you havenâ€™t already completed the above steps, then take the time to do so now. You & your business are so worth it!
- If you have any questions or comments, let us know!
- If you enjoyed this post, please pass it on.
COMING UP NEXT WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY: STEP 1 FOR SOCIAL PROOF SUCCESS PART 4 | MORE KEYWORD RESEARCH
See you next week!
|Jamie Pelaez is a WAHM mom with a zeal for helping others to live an inspired life. She specializes in OnlineÂ Marketing, Social Media, Graphic Design, Copywriting, Business Consulting & Â Motivation. She is skilled atÂ serving & helping online entrepreneurs & small business owners to succeed in their marketplace. Want a FREE business consultation? Visit us here at: Called To Market
‘Test all things and hold firmly that which is good.’ Â ~1 Thessalonians 5:21
SkypeÂ Me: Jamie.Pelaez
- Why You Should Never Duplicate Your Competitor’s SEO Strategies (searchengineguide.com)
- Keyword Research: Analyzing the Important Factors that Contribute to Online Marketing Success | … (seome.me)